After a vote in which fifteen candidates stood for a single open Board of Trustees position at the Wikimedia Foundation (the non-profit that oversees Wikipedia and other projects), Ting Chen has won. You can view the full results of the election here. The following is his candidacy statement:
I began participating in Wikipedia five years ago and have edited and translated lots of articles between DE, EN, and ZH, so I know well how the three Wikipedia projects grew over the years, their history and current status, and their character, strengths, and weaknesses. As an active administrator and bureaucrat at ZH.WP, I am also devoted to daily cleanup work and community interactions. I also helped organizing Wikimania 2007 Taipei.
I strongly believe and hold that Wikimedia and its projects should remain open, neutral, simple, and diverse.
If elected to the Board, I will:
- Support development of the MediaWiki software for enhanced usability.
- Support measures to attract and retain new editors.
- Facilitate communications among Wikimedia communities of different projects and locations.
- Advocate for lingual, cultural and other diversities in the Wikimedia community.
- Promote collaborations between Wikimedia and universities or other nonprofit/public institutions of education and research (e.g., libraries).